GK & Current Affairs : December 04, 2017
1) Iran President opened the first phase of Chabahar port
- The first phase of Chabahar port was inaugurated by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani. The port, located in Iran’s southeastern Sistan-Baluchestan Province, was inaugurated in the presence of representatives from India, Afghanistan and several other countries of the region. The port will open up a new strategic transit route between Iran, India and Afghanistan, bypassing Pakistan.
- The port is likely to ramp up trade between India, Afghanistan and Iran in the wake of Pakistan denying transit access to New Delhi for trade with the two countries.
2) 16th Meeting of the SCO Heads of Government Council held in Russia
- The 16th Meeting of the Heads of Government Council of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation held in Sochi, Russia. The meeting was held from 30 November to 1 December 2017.
- Sushma Swaraj, the Minister of External Affairs represented India in the summit.
- The Meeting was chaired by Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
- In 2018, the next SCO Council of Heads of Government Meeting will be held in Tajikistan.
3) Virat Kohli becomes the first captain to hit six double centuries in Tests
- There is no stopping Virat Kohli. Just a day after becoming the first captain to register a hat-trick of centuries in a three-match series, the Indian skipper scaled yet another milestone when he scored his sixth double century, the highest as a captain. He overtook West Indies great Brian Lara, who held the record previously with five double tons in Tests.
- With a sixth double hundred, Kohli has also tied Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag for the most 200-plus scores for India in Tests. While Tendulkar had six double centuries, Sehwag had recorded four double and two triple hundreds.